Cairo is the largest city in the Arab world and was founded in 969 AD. It is a huge city that combines amazing structures that have centuries as well as modern buildings. You will literally be traveling along different moments in time as you explore the city.
5 Things to See in Cairo:
1. Giza Pyramids and the Sphinx – These 3 pyramids and the sphinx are the main reason why people visit Cairo. They might be often crowded, but seeing these huge monuments is worth the trouble. It is simply impressive.
Photos by: Shelby Root and Angelo Domini.
2. Khan el Khalili Market and Islamic Cairo – It is a huge market located in the part of the city called “Islamic Cairo” where you can get lost in. you don’t even need to buy, it is a great way to see the daily life of locals as well as handcrafts and fabrics.
Photos by: Amine Sekkioui and Matt Cottam.
3. The Citadel – It is a fortification near the center of el Cairo. Along the wall you can see mosques and museums. You also get a great view of the whole city. You can walk around the place, because there is a part of I that is closed to cars.
Photos by: Cycling man and A.Shazly.
4. Egyptian Museum – This museum is home to an invaluable collection that tells the story of the ancient Egyptian culture. It may not be the best museum out there, and you will need a guide, but it is worth walking around it to learn about one of the most influential cultures from the ancient world.
Photos by: John Kannenberg and John Kannenberg.
5. Cairo Tower – You can climb to the top of the tower to see the whole city and the nearby Nile. It was built in 1961 and its design resembles a lotus flower.
Photos by: crosby_cj and crosby_cj.